Tuesday 21 April 2015

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

Throughout my the process of creating my text audience feedback initially guided me into creating the product and after that I used audience feedback and research to improve upon my texts. I have used many methods of audience feedback this includes surveys and questionnaires. Below I will explain how I used this audience feedback and how I responded to it as well as how I gathered this information.

Planning and Research
During my planning and research I used surveys to discover what my target audience wanted to see within a music video, with this information I could ensure that my product was professional and appealed to my target audience. This research was crucial to my planning and research as it allowed me to progress with my research into the areas pointed out within the survey. For example a simple question such as what is your age, allowed me to identify that my target audience for my product would be around 16-25 therefore I could research into my audience and discover further information. This was very helpful as I then identify that the indie genre was very popular within this age range and therefore researched the genre itself. Another question that I asked was based on the elements within a music video such as narrative, abstract, or performance. Many of the responses stated that they like a combination and many stated that they like abstract within a music video. This survey ensured that I could go ahead with creating an abstract without loosing major interest from my target audience, despite the votes not being unanimous I felt like it would still be a good idea, this is because I took inconsideration the sample size of the survey, within the real world the survey was a very small sample size therefore I felt comfortable with going and making an abstract music video. Through some simple question to my class friends I discovered that I wanted to do a black and white video however I wanted it to be a darker black and white therefore I asked them if they liked the style, from this I discovered that the style would fit well and it would look different without taking away from the professional feel.

Ancillary Texts 
When creating my ancillary texts I sent around my finished products, I also tweeted on my blog link and asked for feedback on my texts. This ensured that my research would reach a wide audience with a variety of age ranges and genre preferences.

The responses I got allowed me to improve upon my existing product as well as keep things the same that I may have changed. Personally feedback on a product you have recently finished is more useful then just pointing out improvement but also to stop you from changing things that may look conventional or good. As when you are creating a product you often look at things from a very critical perspective and this can often be bad because you waste your time altering things that never needed to be altered, for example from my feedback I discovered that the font used did look good however I personally didn't like it and thought I should change it.

I did receive some constructive criticism with my products for example with the feedback I received for my music magazine, for example I created two posters for my magazine advert as you can see below.


Through user feedback I discovered that the original font that I used did not fit within the genre as well as my second choice therefore I changed it, I also moved around the spacing of the text to make the poster look fuller instead of bland and blank. I think this fits with the genre better and looks more professional. I also added more cohesiveness between all of my product by making the background image alot darker therefore linking it to my music video. One thing that I kept the same throughout my drafts was my website link and purchase options as they looked professional and are conventional to magazine adverts.

Another feedback stated “I like the style of the poster, however I think that the name of the band at the top of the page looks bland” I took this constructive criticism and work upon it as I agreed with the comment, personally I didn’t want to break the colour continuity that I have been following throughout the texts therefore I opted for a style choice, I played around with a few things until I set on using a strikeout, I felt the drew attention to the text however it didn’t make the text hard to read and still followed my colour scheme. To achieve this look I simply edited my text within Photoshop and used the pre-set strikeout option as you can see below. 


Overall I found that audience feedback was very important in the development of my texts. It helped me make the first decision to create the video that I wanted to, it also showed me conventions and what my target audience is. Along with the simple things it also helped improve my texts to make it more conventional and appealing to my target audience. It allowed me to safely break conventions without making my product look un-professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment